Saturday, April 20, 2013

"Balked at Knee Breeches"


In the spring of 1902 J. S. Hogg, now in the oil business, went to England in search of investors. He had never been abroad, and was royally entertained, but declined an invitation to be presented to King Edward VII at a royal levee.
        
On March 2, 1902 The New York Times headline reported that Hogg had "balked at knee breeches." Said the Times: 
         All arrangements had been completed with the United States Ambassador, Joseph Choate, to enable the well-known Texan to be presented to King Edward at the forthcoming levees. A hitch occurred, however, for Mr. Hogg found that he must appear in knee-breeches, with a sword and all the accompaniments of the regulation Court dress.
         “Never,” said Mr. Hogg: “if I cannot appear in the ordinary evening dress of an American citizen, I will not appear at all. A pretty sight I would look rigged up n all those gewgaws. I have not the faintest idea of trying to revolutionize or even criticize English customs, but blamed if I’ll wear another country’s uniform; no not even for the sake of meeting the King.”
        
Said J. S. Hogg to Ima:
         My rule is to observe the customs of the people wherever I go, aiming at all times to preserve my own self-respect without offense to others. I could not attend this levee and “shake hands” with the King except in “Court dress” as it is called – Knee breeches, Silk stockings low quartered shoes, full-shirt front, low cut vest, “cut-away” coat and plug hat; the coat, pants and vest to be of black velvet. So I have this day called, thanked Ambassador Choate and notified him of my respectful but positive declination.

Then he wrote to Ima after the levee:

         Well, the King’s Levee is over and I am glad I declined to attend the foolish affair. Accounts of it have been given me by a Count who attended it in a bran new Court Suit, which cost him 250.00. He said all he did, or got a chance to do, was to “bow to His Majesty!” No hand shaking. Now you know from observation that I am a great hand-shaker. Had I been there right on this point I should most likely have made a mistake by shaking the King’s hand! Then criticisms would have made you blush for me.

When Ima teased him again about the knee breeches in her next letter, he answered:

         I must say that any American who would change the dress suit of a gentleman for the Court Suit of a King is a snob whose example at home, if he had influence, would in time raise up in our Country a race of flunkies contemptible among freemen. . . .

J. S. Hogg of Texas was not called “the People’s Governor” for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment