Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Mysterious Romance, Summer 1905

         I found the "Sweetheart" letter and its envelope, which had been carefully saved, in a file folder of Ima Hogg’s correspondence in Austin. Then I found another note, also undated, and also on Rice Hotel stationery, signed “WBR.” Further searches revealed that these initials belonged to one Willis B. Reeve. 
         The handwriting in this note, which must have been written earlier, resembles that in the love letter. Reeve was evidently a guest at the Rice Hotel, where Ima and her father were staying. His note begins:
         I really did not get my key at once, but took a little walk--just to think on the day just past and get right for tomorrow. . . .
         I am glad you enjoyed the show. I certainly was glad and proud to have you go. . . .
         Have a good time and “so long.”
                  Reservoir, [slang for “au revoir”]
                                    Cordially
                                                      WBR

P.S. I am really afraid I’ll not get upstairs for a while--a good-looking show girl is writing at the clerk’s desk beside me now!

         WBR liked to tease. And as in the love letter, he liked to add P.S.’s.
         But who was he? Why was he staying at the Rice Hotel? Diligent searches of census records, city directories, and newspaper data bases have turned up nothing. He visited Ima at Varner Plantation later that summer, and turned up in Colorado when Ima and her father went there in August 1905.

But there are no more notes and letters in the files. Willis B. Reeve remains a mystery beau.

No comments:

Post a Comment