Saturday, December 14, 2013

"We have killed hogs twice…."

Jim Hogg was never happier than when he was at Varner Plantation. In December 1905 he could hardly wait to celebrate Christmas there with his family. In anticipation, he wrote again to Ima:

For more than a week the weather has been frosty, clear and bracing. A stiff, fresh Norther is now blowing. We have killed hogs twice and I have never seen weather better for saving meat. So “you see” I am fixed just  suited. Each day I take plenty of exercise, either walking, talking or horse-back riding. I have “made friends” with Albarac, and go riding nearly every day. He is about as fine as ever. Sometimes I ride Dick, the large, black trap-horse, and he is an excellent saddler; but is too tall—so high that I must mount him from a log or stump, while I can mount Albarac like an eighteen-year-old from the ground. This makes me feel more like a horseman. We are locating the birds, squirrels, ducks and bear for the boys. They shall take you with them hunting and have a gay time. Since arriving here I have steadily improved, until now I begin to feel buoyant and hopeful that my full restoration to my former good health will come some of these days.
I guess, as I hope, you are having a very pleasant time. The attention and kindness shown you everywhere and especially in Austin where you are so well known, shed floods of light-of-pleasure into my heart. And you deserve it all. With your acquaintance and large circle of friends in Texas, won by your own exemplary character and excellent behavior, you have nothing to dread in the future; provided that you do not change radically in your disposition and habits.
With you or away from you I have every reason to be grateful to God for such a girl. One thing I do hope and that is you may go to church a little oftener.
Affectionately,
Your father,
J. S. Hogg




No comments:

Post a Comment