Saturday, May 3, 2014

“Scared the life out of me.”

Ima Hogg was an independent young woman, and she made her own decisions. One day she decided to explore Berlin. She ventured out alone--a daring act for a young woman of good family, unchaperoned in a large city. She rode the “U-bahn,” or Untergrundbahn, the underground railway system that had opened in Berlin in 1902. Ima had, after all, spent time in New York City, which had trolleys and elevated trains, and a subway by 1904. This Berlin adventure left her badly frightened. Her diary is not clear on the details, but she took the underground to a distant part of the city. She visited a music store, bought some flowers at a stand, and then, on the street, as she wrote afterward, “a man said something to me--scared the life out of me. Then another . . . I thought was going to insist on walking with me. I really was never more frightened. They say Berlin is a terrible place for such things. My first & hope my last experience.”         

         There were good times, too. She went for a sleigh ride, her first, and noted that the “novelty was intoxicating; the cold cold air in your face, the merry people on the streets.”

         But in a few weeks later she wrote, “Am homesick and stupid and lonesome and utterly miserable.” And she was waking with headaches.
         
         In the summer of 1908, Ima Hogg would be twenty-six years old. What was she going to do with her life?



No comments:

Post a Comment