Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Love Letter for Valentine’s Day

For Valentine’s Day, another Ima Hogg mystery in an undated (1905?) letter to her, addressed to “Sweetheart”:

         It was not just the muchness of your note but the wasness of it that brought that inexplicable joy to my heart. Most heartily do I agree with you, sweetheart, that Fate could not be so unkind as to keep long separated two such loving and trusting hearts. Were I to think that for a moment that we were not to be one forever, that moment would I cease to be. But think not on thoughts so unpleasant for it is by thinking right that you get right. So get right on thought and it will be as you think it. I think only that I love  you, and that you are mine and that no power on earth can separate us, and none can. I love you by day. I love you by night. No winter chill our love can blight. For the moment, dear, I go away--but I leave my love with you to stay. So with love, love, love, and kisses too, I leave the moment my love with you.
         Your Sweetheart.
P.S.
When I first started to you, I am sure, my love, this note was blue.
P.P.S.
Here’s a last kiss and another still.
Here’s one for Jack and one for Jill.
Of course they are all meant for you.
Jack and Jill I thought would do.
That I might give your kisses the rue
Ere I left--don’t you mind.
But if my dear you are really mad
I’ll take them back to make you glad
So there! and there!! and there!!!
The cheeks, the mouth, the hair.
So now I’m off but not to stay.
I’ll soon be back, so dear be gay.
[4 words are crossed out and unreadable] Sweetheart

Will we ever know who “Sweetheart” was?




1 comment: