Saturday, September 24, 2016

Summer travels, 1910, and another mystery

Left London Aug. 8 Monday, 2:30.
Arrived Windsor by train (Paddington) 3:20 PM. White Hart rooms 5/ 6 meals most expensive and an air of graft which irritated me. --Viewed the castle and very imposing grounds.
Left Tuesday at 2:30 P.M. for steam boat trip on the Thames--to Henly--arrived 7:15 P.M.
This trip is decidedly not to be missed--
The beautiful homes and the estate of Astor--Cliveden--are a sight perhaps no where else to be seen in just in such a state of symmetrical beauty. The flowers particularly were so profuse and gay in color on the perfect lawns.

Arrived in Oxford 9:45 P.M.
Mike and I both cold and head-aching. And here was the evil-charm, the land which I shall not mention, as I hope to forget such a place exists. No--I do not for it was an event I shall likely never see in such another similar sphere.
[written in the margin of this page:
 “The Light of the World” H.H. Hunt
Keble College  Glorious masterpiece]

What was the “evil-charm”?  What “event”?

Will we ever know?

No comments:

Post a Comment