Friday, November 3, 2017

Sailing "Over There," Summer 1918

Mike Hogg sailed for France on June 14, 1918, and wrote to his sister from aboard ship the next day.
                                                       Saturday [June 15, 1918]
Dear Sis:
I thought that when we got on here, there would be some let-up in our work, but not so. That seems to be the beginning and ending of everything. However, it is all right. No one is being hurt by it.
         Our trip, so far, has been ideal. Practically no one has been sick at all and the water has been as calm as I have ever seen it. I have seen no one who is a bit uneasy about U-Boats. I have questioned my men and not a one has admitted that he had the slightest uneasiness. I believe that if one put a torpedo into us, we would not be a bit alarmed, even then.
         We made an almost superhuman “get-away.” Ours was the record, so far.
         I wish there were more I could tell you, but it can’t be done. We are all well and the spirit throughout is wonderful.        
         With much love -
            Mike.                                   

There was a war on: censorship was part of it, and so German U-boats (submarines), but Mike Hogg was always cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment