Thursday, August 8, 2013

“As to clothes neither of us have any at all.”


Mike joined Tom at the Lawrenceville School in New Jersey in the spring of 1904. Both Mike (age 19) and Tom (17) wrote dutifully to Ima, but not often to Will and their father.

May 1, 1904
Dear Sister:
I think you have considerable room to make a kick but brother and father have still more. The fact is there is nothing to write. . . .
How is your knee? You never mention it. How is Nap [Ima’s horse, Napoleon] and everything and everybody. We would like to have a picture of Nap.
I received letters from friends at Annapolis saying they had passed the exams. School turns out June 14, 04. Lawrence[ville] came second in the Penn. Relay races held the other day, and third in Princeton Relay. . . .
I guess father is in Beaumont he usually is.
I will close hoping to hear from you all soon. Brother has not written but one letter since I dont know when.
Your brother
Mike Hogg
P.S.
Tell brother I say send me a written note saying that I can get a suit of clothes. I cannot get one without.

Tom wrote to his sister a few days later:
May 10, 1904
Dear Sister:—
Your letter was received to-day. You might as well come on up and be here for Commencement as it will be very nice. .  .
As to clothes neither of us have any at all. I am wearring the same clothes as I was before Xmas. Mike is doing the same thing.
Mike and I would be ever so glad to have you come as soon as you can.
I must close. [Tell] All the girls hello for me. As ever, your wee brother
Tom H.

         The boys were not graduating, but Ima went to Commencement, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment