Saturday, June 15, 2013

"I still keep my dress suit. . . ."


  In answer to a letter from Ima, J. S. Hogg sent his own ruminations about the Inaugural Ball:
                                            
                                                                        Feby. 7th, 1903
Dear Ima:
         I was very much amused at your play on the “Bell of the Ball.” You know that Willie had always treated my social pretensions as a joke. Nothing amuses him more than to see me “gear up” in my “Ball Harness.” Indeed he is always ready to put it on for me, and will go to more trouble at this than at any other small accommodation for me. Well, I enjoy the “rig” and the joke myself. Some of the family must keep up with the fashions, and I guess you and I will have to do it. Will abhors the pastime and I fear now that Mike and Tom will follow his example. So let’s agree that no amount of fun made of my shape shall deter us from the past time and the pleasure of dressing fashionably and well at all times wherever we may go. . . .
          Social life of elegance and graceful simplicity has always been very attractive and pleasant to me. It is true I have indulged in it but little for two reasons: 1. That when I was young, and otherwise equipped for it, I was too busy in my work for professional and political success to take the time and spare the expense for it. 2. That since I have succeeded politically and professionally and would not mind the time or expense necessary to enjoy it, I find it very awkward for the lack of some one to go with me and by reason of approaching old age, to indulge in the pleasure. But I still keep my dress suit, like the one Will admired so at the Inaugural Ball, and am ready, willing and waiting –for you! Yes, for you to get out of school, and go out with me – at least once in a while; that is, at such times as it may be convenient to you. But thereon hang my “heavy hopes” – on a delicate thread: When convenient to you! I know my rivals to go with you will be much younger, more handsome and- and – well they cannot be more willing, nor at any time prouder of the honor. You have so conducted yourself at all times; been so thoughtful of your brothers; so kind to me and have devoted your time so faithfully and successfully to your music and other studies, that I am proud of you at all times. Yes I shall proudly take you anywhere, everywhere, that you may wish to go. Socially you and I will start out together when you quit school and there yet remains plenty of time for us to get all there is in it.
                                             Lovingly, Your Father,
                                                               J. S. Hogg

         J. S. Hogg always had fun.

                                  

1 comment: