Saturday, June 8, 2013

Inaugural Ball, 1903: "A great jam. . . ."


         Ima’s father had hoped that she would stay in Texas long enough to go with him to the Inaugural Ball. In January 1903 Governor Samuel W. T. Lanham, a close friend of Hogg’s and a devoted fan of Ima’s, celebrated his inauguration as Governor of Texas. Ima, however, did not attend the ceremonies or the ball. She was apparently eager to board the train to New York, for reasons that remain mysterious. But Will and J. S. Hogg did go to the ball, and  Will wrote this letter to Ima afterward:

         The Inaugural Ball was a great jam--About five thousand perspiring, sorry-we-came, people lined up for the grand march, which opened the still-waltz tableau, in a lock-step crawl for a share in the programs which gave out before the tail of the procession got in ear-shot of the music. I waited as a looker-on until I saw the ugliest man and homeliest woman in my whole life and then sang “Sailor Pull for the Shore.” Thirty minutes there made me glad I was not a fool in every respect.
         There were a number of very pretty girls and worlds of spoiled silk-and-lace. Dress-suits from bottom-drawers which made the wearers smile before they got inside--and saw every body had one except me and the door police. Near three before the crowd cleared sufficiently for the dances to begin. I left at 11:30, had to fight my way through the corridors. Of course J. Stephen was there and had more fun than anybody. He was very much perturbed until late in the afternoon for fear that his dress suit was not going to reach him in time. It came, however, and he was glad. Fact is I was in a state of disquietude myself on that account for I really like to see him in dress.
         He left last Wednesday night for Beaumont but probably will return in a week. Aunt Francis is at the farm (Columbia) The boys are well but they don’t communicate.
                                                      Write to me –
                                                                Yours
                                                                         Will
        
         Will Hogg was 28 years old. He ought to have had more fun.

1 comment: