Saturday, June 29, 2013

“It has been so cool the last few days we could not sit on the porch.”


That was a resort in the Berkshires,  July 4, 1904. Mike and Tom were spending the summer there, with Ima.
         Mike wrote a dutiful letter to their father, who was spending the summer at  the family’s country home, “the Varner,” in Columbia, Texas,  on this summer holiday.

July 4, 1904

Dear Papa:—
Tom received your letter today. This being the fourth everybody up here are shooting fire crackers. Tom and I are not participating. We had a golf tournament here today. I came out fourth I came second in one we had last Saturday. I have not played the game over ten times in my life. I am not going crazy over it.
I have just finished the Marble Faun by Scott and am now beginning Waverly by the same author. I am studying algebra for next year.
Sister got a letter from brother in which he asked every possible question about Tom and myself. We sent him twelve pictures of sister Tom & myself. They were never taken at the right time and consequently look foolish.
From your description of the dogs they must be great. As for Patseys colt that is between Caesar & Nap. I think Caesar. You know he is of fine blood himself. I certainly would like to be down on the farm myself right now although this country up here is very beautiful.
It has been so cool the last few days that we could not sit on the porch. You can see the vapor come out of your mouth.
There are a great many wood chucks up here. Their holes are about the right size for a foxterrier to roll into.
I have written you two letters recently and you don’t seem to have received either. You have the advantage over me for you have a greater source of material. I will close hoping you are well and will write me or us another long letter.
Your Son
Mike Hogg

Happy 4th of July to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment